The Old Music Hall
VOIP Telephony for Social Change hub
- AVAYA Voice over IP (VOIP) telephony
- Communal, shared platform benefitting multiple organisations and reducing cost
- Retirement of old analogue system removing physical components and saving power
Social enterprise The Ethical Property Company run over 15 multi-tenant Social Change Centres around the UK and Europe, ranging from small buildings housing a handful of community focussed charities, through to 30,000 sq. ft. central London hubs housing multiple international NGOs and other Social Change organisations. They are also key stakeholders in Ethical IT, who provide the communal shared IT network and internet for all tenants to freely use in all the centres.
Ethical Property’s head office is in Oxford, where over 200 desks service around a dozen social change organisations, as well as the core Ethical Property management team. After a successful upgrade to Fibre Optic internet for all tenants in 2014, they approached Ethical IT to conduct a major upgrade of the communal telephony system, moving away from the old analogue system to the latest Voice Over Internet (VOIP) platform, to provide a powerful, flexible and customisable system to fit the collective requirements of all tenants in the building.
Ethical IT set up a Project Team to gather the requirements, implement the new platform, handle the migration and retire the old system. The team also brought in long standing strategic partners SynergyPlus, who are specialists in VOIP technology, to validate the plans and provide support implementing the new virtual phone lines and numbers, as well as providing the new hardware.
The migration allowed them to retire their old on-site phone server, which removed a single point of failure risk, while retaining telephone numbers and functions like hunt groups, individual direct dials, voicemail to email, remote access to the system, free conference calling and many more at no additional cost.
The new VOIP system allows new users and numbers to be set up in minutes, making the system very easy to manage for the on-site Property Managers, while giving tenants flexibility to work form anywhere and take their number with them on any device.
The new AVAYA system was integrated into the existing Service Level Agreement, providing all tenants with full support from the Ethical IT Service Desk team, based in Old Street, London, giving remote support for staff support issues, guaranteed response and fix times, on-site presence in the event of an emergency, and a named escalation point for service review meetings and help planning future enhancements.
Finally, Ethical IT’s proactive monitoring platform has been deployed to the system and is monitored by a dedicated team – ensuring that alerts are sent ahead of time should anything fail or be close to failing, in addition to the 99.997% up time guarantee applicable to the core internet line handling calls.
- Reduced call costs for tenants, especially on international calls and calls to mobiles
- Conference Call platform available at no charge for all tenants
- Hugely flexible system; every user has a direct line, voicemail to email, remote access, call forwarding to enable staff to work from anywhere
- Hunt Groups and Presence allows reception and call handlers to direct callers to staff that are logged in and online only, meaning fewer missed calls
- Reporting platform allows each tenant to receive itemised bills and reports to analyse where their call spend is going and make further savings on cost
- Simplified management for Property Managers, with a “plug and play” setup meaning staff can move around the building and new users added within minutes
- Removal of old analogue system, reducing power consumption and carbon footprint